Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Drunkard

This story is interesting . . . to say the least. I think that the humor and irony is a bit amusing but is almost entirely based on the fact that we wouldn't expect the things that happen. The thought of a 8-12 year old boy stumbling around drunk is funny. I also thought it was pretty funny the way he "cursed" at the women. This story was meant, I think, to point out how it is clearly not okay for anyone to be an alcoholic. The story uses a small boy to show this because although in our society it isn't accepted for people to be alcoholics, it seems that a lot of people kind of turn a blind eye to it. I think that the title might be meant to refer to the son instead of the father as would be expected. I think it is meant to refer to the way the son viewed his father and for this day the son became "the drunkard"

No comments:

Post a Comment