Thursday, December 2, 2010

You're Ugly Too

3. This story makes extensive use of jokes. Discuss the importance of jokes to the characterization of Zoe and to the story as a whole.

Hendricks really liked telling jokes. Her jokes were often sarcastic and a bit pessimistic in a way but were normally pretty funny in my opinion. The story's title comes from a joke about a man who is told by his doctor that he has six weeks to live. The man says he wants another opinion. "You want a second opinion? OK," says the doctor. "You're ugly, too." At first I really didn't think the joke and the story were related at all I thought it was completely unrelated. Thinking about it though, this joke fits the same exact type of jokes that Hendricks tells, sarcastic and a bit evil. It seems like most of the people in the story don't really get her jokes though.

Overall I guess I liked Zoe though, she seemed not to care too much about what other people thought about her and she was pretty kooky and quirky.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this story would have fit your sense of humor....no?

    ReplyDelete