Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Glass Menagerie

Amanda is definitely an overbearing parent if I've ever seen one. I thought it was funny right after her and Tom's argument when they made up and then immediately she went right back to correcting every little thing he did with the way he ate his food and they got right back into their argument again. That is also something about the play that seems fairly realistic. I'm pretty sure I've seen the exact same thing happen in real life. Throughout a lot of the play though really she seems to make little pokes at Tom and his imperfections, she says things like "...Tom is a total loss when it comes to mechanics" or "I don't know why my son is so stand-offish." On the other side there's the way that Amanda deals with Laura, at first she seems to defend Laura whenever possible like when she tells Tom not to call her "crippled." However, later, she goes on to warn Laura that she is the prettiest she'll ever look which is kind of a backhanded compliment really if not just an insult.

No comments:

Post a Comment