Monday, February 28, 2011

Who names their kid Biff?

Ok so the whole time we've been talking about this story I, and I'm sure many others have all been thinking the same thing. . . who on earth names their kids Biff and Happy? I mean maybe they named one and didn't realize how horrible of a name it was then when the other came along they didn't want to give him a better name so they went with Biff. Which segways nicely into my next point which is that Biff is a foil character to Willy and Happy. This is pretty apparent but I thought maybe I should find out what a "biff" is, so I pulled up dictionary.com and low and behold it is a noun or verb that means "To strike or punch." This seems like it might be an odd coincidence but oh no, this is a drama, there are no coincidences. While Willy (willing) and Happy (happy) carry a more positive connotation, Biff means to hit or punch. This difference is made real in the play because unlike Willy and Happy, Biff is actually trying to go somewhere, he wants to reconcile his mistakes and make something of his life and Willy makes a lot of jabs or punches, if you will, at Biff for his unsuccessfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment