Thursday, July 8, 2010

Final Thoughts

Overall I think my blog entries have made it pretty obvious that I wasn't entirely thrilled with the book. Who gets to decide what is and is not a “Quintessential novel of the Lost Generation,” as the back cover says. I guess what most of the “hype” I guess about this book is isn't really about the story itself its about the way that its written. I guess that the way it was written was okay. Maybe I'm just biased because the story was horrible though. It just didn't seem that impressive to me, even the style of writing. I just think that there are better authors that are alive today but their books aren't considered by whoever it is that decides we should read this book fore AP Lit because they haven't died yet. I'm really just hoping that The Things They Carried is better because it wasn't fun reading this book. That's probably the main reason I don't enjoy reading for school, if I don't enjoy the book I can't just abandon it and read something else I have to continue to read it and maybe its good for me, somehow. But I don't see how reading about a guy running around Europe with his friends drinking is any better for me than watching Eurotrip (they are essentially the same story just set in different eras, well and Eurotrip has the part with the robotguys fighting but thats kinda like the bull fights)

1 comment:

  1. hopefully The Things They Carried will peak your interest a bit more.

    ReplyDelete