Thursday, September 9, 2010

The convergence of Twain

When I first read this poem I failed to see the subtitle that mentions the titanic. This made the poem extremely confusing and it wasn’t until the second to last stanza that I started to wonder if maybe the poem was about the titanic. When I saw the subtitle I was very relieved that I wasn’t missing the point entirely or that I knew nothing about Mark Twain. For the most part though this poem changed a lot of my view on the titanic, it made me think on a different level from a different perspective, about what happened. Especially since at first I didn’t realize it was about the titanic. In fact, I’m actually glad I didn’t see the subtitle at first. It made me read the poem from a completely oblivious perspective without being completely oblivious, if that makes sense.

1 comment: