Thursday, September 9, 2010

I felt a Funeral, in my brain

I think that this poem is filled with symbols because I think that the poem is an allegory. Overall the poem seems to be representing the speaker going insane. The fact that the speaker is hearing and experiencing his/her own funeral speaks enough for itself and how it demonstrates this point but further details also reveal this. In line 8 the speaker says, “My mind was going numb.” This seems to be symbolic of the fact that the speaker is almost aware of their growing insanity but doesn’t do anything to prevent it (maybe because they’re insane.) The way the speaker seems to die, in a way, at the end seems to show that at that point they are beyond the point of no return and have completely gone insane. The poem also seems to be phrased so that it progresses pretty slowly for instance when treading is repeated early on in the poem it makes the poem drag on.

No comments:

Post a Comment