Thursday, September 9, 2010

Spring

To me it is interesting how Hopkins chooses to portray the weeds. When I think of weeds I think of them as a nuisance but the way Hopkins portrays them shines an entirely new light on them. When I read Hopkins description it makes the weeds sound much more exotic and makes the whole area seem to be untamed and free. The tone of Hopkins poem seems to be kind of light and carefree. He seems to write without too much direction in the first stanza, just describing things he sees as he sees them. The second stanzas tone seems to change though. Many more of the words have a more negative connotation such as cloy, sinning, strain, and sour. He seems to start to snap out of the ignorant bliss he had in the first stanza and focus more on peoples impurity’s and how we are not deserving of this beauty, at least that’s what the reference to Eden makes me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment