Friday, November 19, 2010

Miss Brill

Well once again a story we read in lit has prostitutes. It seems like almost every story we have there’s that question, “do you think [CHARACTER] is a prostitute?” This time though I don’t think it’s as much of a question as it is a fact. This scene in the story where Miss Brill sees this “pretty lady” demonstrates Miss Brill’s naivety. She assumes the best in everything that is happening around her. That’s why she thinks it’s just a pretty lady talking to some guys and I think that from this the reader can infer that Miss Brill is a lonely lady. She doesn’t have many if any friends and she doesn’t get out much. I think in the end Miss Brill might notice her loneliness and see that she doesn’t really have anyone. I did notice question number 5 also asks what the significance of the lady in the “ermine toque” is and I think that further solidifies the fact that she is truly a prostitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment