Friday, August 13, 2010

195-212

From here on out I am just going to assume the stories are true because if I don't then I just keep wanting to rant about the pointlessness of it all. Kiley says at one point, “This whole war. You Know what it is? Just one big banquet. Meat, man. You and me. Everybody. Meat for the bugs.” (212) I think the way this sentence is written shows more of O'Brien's [SYNTACTIC FLUENCY.] Kiley is going crazy and O'Brien has to show us this, not just tell us. He does this very effectively by making his speech very choppy and almost random. It shows the randomness of his thoughts and his paranoia. The sentences are all appropriately short and simple because Kiley isn't having any long, complex thoughts. The moral of this story, I think, is just to demonstrate how much pressure soldiers are put under. Even now with soldiers still over in Iraq we hear about soldiers going kind of crazy. It's a serious problem.

1 comment: