Friday, August 13, 2010

Pgs: 98-110

In this chapter I found a a [SYNECDOTE] that is a little bit off color so I won't go into to much detail explaining it but it is the first that I've seen. Rat Kiley is on a sort of rant and says, “All that crap about how if we had a pussy for a president there wouldn't be no more wars.” (102) I think its fairly obvious what the synecdote is. I also noticed a bit of irony in this chapter. On page 101 O'Brien interrupts a story to talk about how a guy he knew used to stop his story and interrupt them, it is extremely ironic. He talks about how Rat would stop the flow of the story to give a little bit of pointless detail and that is precisely what O'Brien does with his writing here. The whole basis of this chapter is only valid if we assume that a guy actually did bring his girlfriend to Vietnam which in itself is very hard to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment