Friday, August 13, 2010

Pgs: 37-51

O'Brien revealed a story in this chapter that he is not at all proud of. I think that this shows a lot of character, especially since he revealed this story very early in the book. On page 47 O'Brien uses a strong oxymoron, he says that a man had a “ferocious silence.” This [OXYMORON] is very effective because in essence I think that it attempts to describe the indescribable. It causes the reader to stop for a second and imagine what “ferocious silence” is, this contradiction shows us how complex the mans disposition is while also being very contrite. When I imagine the ferocious silence I see it as both O'Brien and the man both knowing why O'Brien is there yet never talking about it, almost forming a tension that is undiscussed and is therefore almost pliable. So far this book is a lot better than The Sun Also Rises, in my opinion, I feel like the story moves a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment