Friday, August 13, 2010

Pgs: 111-128

O'Brien discusses a particular man's sort of superstition and how the man always would put his girlfriends pantyhose around his neck. This unconventional superstition to me seems a bit more crazy and obsessive than cute or anything else. Even further more when his girlfriend breaks up with him and he continues the superstition. I don't think that the pantyhose would really smell as they were described either, this guy has been wearing them around his neck for months in the hot weather. I think they would smell more like sweat. O'Brien also writes about a man he killed. The chapter is titled “The Man I Killed.” It seems a bit odd to me that if these storys are true that he would focus so much on this man unless it is the only man he ever killed. This would be kind surprising to me if he only killed one person during his time in Vietnam, when I think of WW1 and the sheer number of casualties I would have thought he would have killed a few more people than just one. He says at one point, “The young man's finger nails were clean.” This seems to prove to me that he really did only kill one man if he remembers him in that great of detail.

1 comment: