Friday, August 13, 2010

Pgs: 62-72

The majority of this section falls in the chapter entitled “How to Tell a True War Story.” O'Brien uses a story about how to tell a story to demonstrate the true maliciousness of war. This is almost like a framing device however I don't think it's a true frame story. I think it's interesting how O'Brien decided to do this, it seems almost like that by doing this it makes you, or at least it made me, a little skeptical of all the story's hes telling. How much of them are true? He says, “A true war story is never moral.” This may be true of the story he proceeds to tell, but some of the story's he has told have been moral. So should we discount them and view them as lies like he says we should? This contradiction kind of rubs me the wrong way I don't like that he generalizes this much about the war it makes me more and more skeptical about what he is writing. Despite my reservations I still like the book so far.

1 comment: