Friday, August 13, 2010

Pgs: 85-97

This chapter describes a story O'Brien heard from a guy named Rat Kiley. O'Brien warns that it may not be true but to me, it seems, we get an awful lot of detail considering were hearing this second hand and 20 years later. It makes me think that this story might be true, but I am of course skeptical about all war stories now that O'Brien told me I should be. I also noticed something in the front cover of the book just before I read this chapter. It says, “In prose that combines the sharp, unsentimental rhythms of Hemmingway with gentler, more lyrical descriptions. . .” This struck me as a bit odd, maybe its not as much of a coincidence that we are reading these two books. I think I foresee an essay or two comparing the writing styles of Hemmingway and O'Brien, I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment