Friday, August 13, 2010

Pgs: 165- 180

I know that I've already written about it a little but I just read a chapter where O'Brien basically told us that all of his stories are made up. I liked this book until I read this. If all of the stories are fake then why am I reading them? My six year old cousin can make up crazy stories! He says stories can “make things present” (172) I just can't really take anything away from a made up war story. In fact, earlier in the book he wrote a chapter entitled “How to Tell a True War Story” . . .WHAT?!?! what is this? Why is he trying to play these stories off as true in the beginning? Maybe because he knows no one would read this if they knew from the beginning it was all made up. I just think that there are true war stories out there that not only, in my opinion are more interesting, but also have a purpose.

1 comment:

  1. I think O'Brien is more concerned with "story truth" whereas you want "happening truth"

    ReplyDelete